12 ounces elbow pasta or chickpea elbow pasta
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
½ cup stout beer
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups grated white Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup Cheddar WhispsⓇ, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a medium ovenproof skillet melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium. Whisk in flour until smooth, then whisk in milk, beer, and salt. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened. Stir in cheese and take off heat.
- Drain pasta well and stir into cheese sauce.
- In a small skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, then stir in bread crumbs and Whisps. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle crumbs over mac and cheese.
- Bake until browned and crusty, about 15 minutes.