1 spaghetti squash, halved widthwise, seeds removed (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter or preferred vegetable oil
¼ cup chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
1 package (2½ ounces) Cello Cheddar WhispsⓇ, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet and bake until fork-tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter or heat oil over medium. Stir in sage and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk until fully incorporated. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, and cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- After squash is tender, run a knife around the inside of the squash skin to separate skin from pulp. Remove squash pulp and separate into strands.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375℉ and lightly oil an 8” baking dish.
- In a medium bowl gently toss together squash and cheese sauce with tongs. Transfer to baking dish and top with WhispsⓇ. Bake until bubbly and browned, about 30 minutes.