1½ pounds cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons minced parsley
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons preferred vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup chicken or beef stock
1 cup frozen peas
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup Cheddar WhispsⓇ, roughly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Place cauliflower in a steamer basket. Bring water to a boil in a pot, place steamer basket inside, cover, and steam until very tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a bowl and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Stir in parsley and 1 tablespoon butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large ovenproof skillet (such as cast iron) heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté until softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl whisk cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the chicken or beef stock. Set aside.
- Add remaining chicken or beef stock, peas, thyme, rosemary, and pepper to skillet. Bring to a boil, then stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook briefly, until thickened. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon cauliflower mash on top of beef mixture in skillet and spread smoothly to the edges of the skillet. If desired, use a fork to make a pattern in the cauliflower. Cut remaining 2 tablespoons butter into small pieces and scatter over the top. Sprinkle WhispsⓇ on top.
- Bake until the top is browned, 30-35 minutes.