8 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
¼ cup olive oil, plus more for mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, chopped
One (28oz) can whole tomatoes
4 sprigs basil
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
8oz bulk Italian sausage or Italian sausage links, casings removed
½ red onion, very thinly sliced
½ green bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
4 cremini mushrooms, very thinly sliced
16 pepperoni slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella (4oz)
½ cup Tomato Basil WhispsⓇ, roughly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place mushrooms on baking sheet. Rub all over with oil and bake until softened, about 20 minutes.
- For the marinara, in a large saucepan heat oil over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, basil, and pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer, using a spoon to crush tomatoes against the side of the pot, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Add salt to taste.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring, until browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- With mushrooms upside down on baking sheet, top with marinara, sausage, onion, pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni, mozzarella, and WhispsⓇ. Bake until cheese is melted and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with remaining marinara.