1 pound ricotta
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed, divided
1 can (28oz) whole tomatoes
3 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise with a mandoline
1½ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
½ cup basil leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4oz)
1 bag (1 cup) Asiago and Pepper Jack WhispsⓇ, finely crushed
- Place ricotta in a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl and let drain while you prepare the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium. Add 4 of the minced garlic cloves and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally and pressing tomatoes against the side of the pan to break them up, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a colander combine zucchini strips with 1 teaspoon salt and let drain for 15 minutes. Rinse zucchini, then transfer to a kitchen towel and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Lightly oil a 9” baking dish.
- In a medium bowl stir to combine drained ricotta, basil, Parmesan, egg, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, pepper, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 clove garlic.
- Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce into the prepared baking dish. Top each zucchini strip with a spoonful of ricotta mixture, roll up, and place seam-side down in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over zucchini, and sprinkle with mozzarella and WhispsⓇ.
- Bake until heated through and browned, 15-20 minutes.